justvivian

Quirky Musings

(but mostly stupid ones)

Your Happy End - E.E. Ottoman This was a very quick and relatively fun read. The blurb basically sums the whole book up: there are two guys, both form the support-side for their respective Superhero team. They meet and fall in love.

There wasn't much depth to this book, but I did enjoy it. Some of the parts I was slightly iffy with was:

The book got a little too big for its breeches; in other words, I found it was slightly too ambitious.

There were quite a few big issues which Ottoman included within Your Happy End, one of which is abuse. Now, I'm not criticising the inclusion of abuse as a back story to a character (though I have grown rather sick of it-- sob story after sob story), but I do think that with a short story like this, bringing up such an issue can lead to a lot of underdevelopment, cliches and frankly, a huge case of eyerolling. I'm not belittling abuse at all and fact is it happens, so if you character suffered from abuse then they damn well did, but in this case I felt that bringing it in simply created a cliche that should be avoided. It wasn't well explored or executed.

And something not so much 'too big for its breeches' as much as confusion was when, one their first date, it was asked "What pronouns do you use? and suddenly the terms genderqueer and cisgender male were thrown at me.

I think it's brilliant that they know who they are and they're making sure that there's no misunderstandings at all, but the whole conversation felt very stilted and unnatural, and somewhat like a lecture. I'm not quite sure if the author was trying to inform me that there were all of these subgroups of identity (though I personally find labels utterly constrictive and unnecessary) or the author was just trying to add another layer of depth and meaning to the characters.

Now, I'm not a gay male, but I've never actually come across this before. Is it the norm to introduce yourself as (e.g) queergender, or is this just something the author included? I'm not sure whether to think that the author was trying lecture me or simply portray a nice healthy relationship where they talk everything out... Either way, those terms confused me more than anything and I felt that the author was trying to explore something that they simply did not have the length of book for.

On another, more positive, note, I was really excited when I read this:

Cooper filled out his jeans with a cute, rounded ass, nice wide hips, and a cute little belly. He was round in all the right places.

Good bye unrealistic six pack and hello baby. Now he sounds adorable and utterly delicious. Thank goodness for a nice and realistically built character. *smooch*

Overall I think that some of the issues explored in this book would've been more suited for a lengthier novel, but it was still a somewhat enjoyable read, if with nondescript writing.